Trail Description : Waldron Trail
Mileages are as follows (one-way):
- Hermit Trail junction - 2 miles
- Dripping Springs Trail junction - 2.25 miles
- Hermit Camp - 7.5 miles
- Colorado River - 9 miles
- Rim - 6456'
- Hermit Trail junction - 5480', 976' below rim
- Dripping Springs Trail junction - 5240', 1216' below rim
- Hermit Camp - 2800', 3656' below rim
- Colorado River - 2400', 4056' below rim
- Restricted area, day use only.
- Nearest campsite is in the Boucher Use area.
From the top the trail follows a gently sloping drainage for about ½ mile. After it crosses this drainage, near Horsethief Tank, the trail descends on short steep rocky switchbacks through the Torweap and Coconino formations. The trail gently descends through the Hermit Shale connecting up with the Hermit Trail in the Hermit Basin.
Use caution while descending the switchbacks, due to loose rock. A high clearance vehicle is recommended to access the trailhead.
Copyright © Bob Ribokas, 1994-2008, all rights reserved. This publication and its text and photos may not be copied for commercial use without the express written permission of Bob Ribokas.