Grand Canyon Caverns
JPG, 400 x 265 x 256, 18K
Grand Canyon Caverns is located on Historic Route 66 between Kingman and Seligman, Arizona - 25 miles west of Seligman.
Grand Canyon Caverns are living, limestone caves that began forming millions of years ago. They were discovered in 1927 by a wood cutter by the name of Walter Peck, but it is believed that the native Americans, who lived in the area, long knew of the caves existence. Peck promptly began giving people tours of the caves for twenty-five cents apiece. The only access to the caves at that time was by being lowered down into them by rope, 150 feet down, one person at a time.
Today visitors travel 210 feet down into the caves by way of a modern elevator. The paths that lead around and through the caves have been levelled and paved and the caverns are illuminated with multi-colored spotlights. Tours begin every half-hour.
A motel, restaurant, gift shop, convenience mart, RV camping and RV dump are also available on the grounds.
Close-up of cave formation
JPG, 400 x 265 x 256, 25K
Hours of operation are from 10 AM to 5 PM, 7 days a week
P.O. Box 180
Peach Springs, Arizona 86434-0180